One of the most dreadful things in life is waking up in the morning to find an ugly painful whitehead on your lips. Our lips are very sensitive because we need them for munching food and communication and therefore having pimples here is quite irritating. More annoying is the fact that it is very hard to hide these small white bumps or pimples.
Most people having pimples around their mouth will always have low self-esteem. This means that they cannot perform their best. What these people don’t understand is that pimples around lips is a common problem for most people and can be treated. All you need to do is find the cause of the little sometimes painful white bumps, though pain is not common, and you will be sure to get a solution.
There are several causes of tiny white bumps. These causes range from normal hormonal changes to chronic life-threatening diseases.
- Allergic reactions- Some people are allergic to certain foods, spices and lip care products. They could be a sign of an allergic reaction to a product that does not bode well for your body. The fluoride in toothpaste can also react with your body to cause zits on your lip or in the mouth.
- Hormonal imbalance- Two things come to mind when you speak of hormonal imbalance; pregnancy and puberty. There is a great chance that you will have tiny white bumps on your lips during puberty because of hyperactive glands and hormonal imbalance. Some ladies also get the white blisters on their lips during menstruation. You may also get the dreaded bumps if your body is undergoing any kind of stress.
- Using low-quality products- Yes, cheap is expensive, you want to be glamorous, but you don’t want to spend. Cheap lip balm or lipsticks may be the cause of those white pimples. You should also include expired products under this category.
- Oily skin- If you are unfortunate to have an extremely oily skin, then you will be prone to getting whiteheads This is because the excessive sebum produced by the body blocks the skin pores around your mouth leading to the white pimples on lips.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STD)- white dots on lips or swollen blisters can be a sign of herpes virus. Oral herpes simplex is a condition that causes painful fluid-filled blisters. Bumps on the corner of the mouth can also be a sign of herpes.
- Smoking- Smoking is harmful to your health. This phrase is annoying to most smokers. But truth is that most smokers are prone to getting white bumps on their lips because of the tar contained in tobacco. Smoking is just not worth all the health risks you are putting your body into.
- Fordyce spots – Fordyce spots also called Fordyce granules are whitish bumps that can occur on the side of your lips. These tiny bumps are completely normal, harmless and painless. Seven out of 10 adults have at one-time experienced Fordyce spots.
- Poor hygiene- Lips like any other parts of your body need care. If you don’t exfoliate them, moisturize them with the right products then you are bound to get tiny white bumps or whiteheads.
- Medication- Cough medicines and sedatives contain bromides and iodides which are known to cause whiteheads on lips. The presence this kind of acne can also be a result of medication containing lithium and androgenic steroids.
How to get rid of whitehead on lips
Depending on the cause, you can find several methods to get rid of them.
1. Do not pop the pimples
The fastest way to get rid of a pimple on your lip is to pop it. But I would advise you against it.
Popping the pimple on your lips including the lipline spreads the causative bacteria and you end up getting more pimples.
The first step to getting rid of that ugly bumps not to pop it. Try to avoid touching these spots as much as possible since your hands are full of bacteria which can aggravate the situation.
2. Hot and cold compresses
This is another useful way on how to get rid of them. Hot compresses reduce the size of the pimples and mitigate the pain. Soak a soft piece of cloth in warm water and use it to soothe them.
A cold compress does the same job. Place an ice cube in a towel and press it against the pimple for a few minutes. Ice reduces swelling by constricting the glands on your skin hence getting rid of your white bump.
3. Use of Benzoyl peroxide
It is the most effective whiteheads remedy. Benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria responsible for whiteheads on lips. It also unclogs the skin pores. Before applying the gel, wash the area affected by whiteheads with mild soap and part it dry.
4. Use of fresh Lemon juice
The citric acid contained in lemon juice makes it an important antibacterial. This makes the juice a very useful lip pimple treatment option. Use a cotton swab to apply the lemon juice on the whitehead. Avoid bottled lemon juice because the preservatives might do more harm to your whiteheads.
5. Use of castor oil for lip bumps
Another way to get rid of this kind of acne is by applying castor oil on the affected area. The antibacterial properties of Castor oil get rid of the pimples causing bacteria. Castor oil also absorbs the impurities around the affected area thus reducing spread.
6. Try the proven Turmeric paste
Turmeric paste has got healing properties which can help get rid of whiteheads around mouth without leaving any scars behind. All you need is to apply the paste on the pimple and leave it for as long as you can.
7. Apply some honey on your whitehead
Honey is also a very suitable way on how to remove whiteheads. The low pH of honey makes the atmosphere unsuitable for pimple-causing bacteria to survive. All you need is to apply the honey to the affected area of the lip and leave it to dry.
8. Wash your face with baking soda
Apart from maintaining your body’s pH balance, baking soda also removes excess oil, dirt and dead cells from your skin. All you need is to mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a few drops of water. You can then apply the paste to the pimples.
- A healthy diet is one of the easiest ways to prevent lip whiteheads. Make sure you take a lot of water because water hydrates the skin and gets rid of toxic components from the body.
- If your body is allergic to fluoride, then use toothpaste that does not contain the component
- Exfoliation and proper cleaning are very important if you want to avoid this problem.
- Change your lifestyle by avoiding stress because stress is one of the biggest enemies to the progress of human health. You can also minimize your smoking habits
- Use the good brands of lip care products. Just remember that it is not a must for you to apply any of that makeup. But if you must, then try the ones made from organic products.
Getting white bumps or whiteheads on the upper, lower or side of the lips is quite a normal occurrence for most people.
Mostly, the white bumps will disappear on their own even without trying to cure them. You are required to seek immediate medical attention if the whiteheads are accompanied by a sore throat, they are very painful or there is excessive bleeding. This might be a sign of a serious condition like cancer.
Before deciding on any kind of treatment, it will be good to know what caused the pimples in the first place.
They say prevention is better than cure, you can follow my tips on how to avoid the painful white bumps.