A dark scar is any spot or mark, whose color differs from that of your normal skin. Look at your skin; do you see any mark or spot that is darker? That is it.
Dark scars are common in almost all people. I can confidently say that nearly everyone has had this skin problem, regardless the affected area.
These black colored spots or marks are not limited to any part of the body. They can found on the face, hands, legs, thighs, chest region and abdominal region. However, the face, hands, and legs are the ones that are most affected areas.
Dark spots are not gender-specific, as they can be equally found on both men and women. However, it is believed that they are common in women, probably due to their skin structure and the numerous skincare products that they apply to their skin.
On the face, the black marks are often due to acne, i.e., dark acne scars which could be on your cheeks, chin, forehead, on your temples and so on.
Usually, those on face and legs are such a bother, as these parts are, in most cases, never covered by clothes. When found on the face, these scars may lower your self-esteem.
This is a similar case if they are found in legs and hands. In fact, some people opt to change their dressing code. Some may, for instance, choose longer wears that will cover the legs down to the ankle if they have them on their legs.
Before thinking of how to get rid of them, best creams to use, it is good to understand the whole concept of dark scars deeply.
Types with pictures
Do you know the kind of dark scars you are having? If not, according to blackdoctor.org they fall in one of the following categories:
- Stretch Marks: They common on thighs and abdominal region, caused by tearing of the dermis.
- Keloidal scars: Thet are caused by trauma or injuries, and they form as the wounds are healing and excess collagen is formed. They are raised, and on the chest, back, and shoulders but they can anywhere.
- Bruises: These are that form when a wound heals.
- Atrophic scars - These appear as sunken and can occur in any part of the body.
- Hypertrophic scars. These are the most common ones. They are elevated that affect almost every body part, including the face, thighs, feet, abdomen, and chest.
On causes, stylecastor.com notes that dark scars are attributed to many factors. Some of the common on any part of the body include
- Excessive use of facial hair removal: For people who use tweezers, wax or depilatory creams, they are likely to develop them, especially on the chin and cheeks. Also, some facial hair removers contain chemical substances that cause hyperpigmentation.
- Hormonal changes: It is believed that hormonal changes play a vital role in causing dark marks, especially on the face. For example, these marks on the face are mainly evident in expectant mothers due to hormonal changes. This could be due to things such as acne breakouts which are influenced by hormones.
- Electronic devices such as laptops. People who have a habit of placing their laptops on their laps develop dark scars on the thighs. This is due to the warmth that emanates from the laptop. This, however, occurs only to those people who place laptops on their thighs for long hours.
- Type of clothing. It is believed that tight clothes irritate the skin, thus causing this problem. Before thinking of the ways or products such as cream to remove those dark spots on legs, think of doing away with tight inner wears and trousers. Additionally, please do away with tight bras, especially if you are developing them due to bra use.
- Food consumed. Did you know that the type of food you eat can cause these spots on your body? In this context, they might be a mere allergic reaction to certain types of foods.
How do you get rid of dark scars fast or quickly?
On how to get rid of acne scars and dark marks, teenvogue.com notes that acne or any other skin infection leaves behind darker colored scarring, long after healing. It may be simple to heal a pimple but not a scar.
If you are having them on any part of your skin, you don’t need to worry. Science and nature have shown that it is possible to remove dark spots naturally and fast even within a week.
These days, you may not need to use contemporary medicine when natural substances can serve the purpose. in addition, there exist numerous creams to remove them. Here are some ways to get rid of them:
1. Use Retinoid
Ever heard of retinoid? One of them, Retin-A, is very effective in facilitating cell division. They are components of vitamin A.
Their ability to facilitate epithelial cell growth plays a vital role in eliminating dark scars fast. How does this happen? When new cells are created, they replace the old ones. For example, the formation of new skin cells replaces the old ones that may be having blemishes.
However, you should understand that retinoid makes your skin very sensitive. This may make it react with sunrays, soap, and lotions. Only use retinoid alongside Retinol Correxion sensitive cream.
2. Vitamin C
As you all know, vitamin c is also known as ascorbic acid. It is mainly found in vegetables and fruits and plays an essential role in maintaining various body tissues such as blood vessels and skin.
Vitamin c is very important as far as getting rid these blemishes is concerned. Generally, vitamin C helps in regenerating and repairing tissues. The regeneration helps get rid of the skin that could be scarred as a new one replaces it. This is one of the best removal strategies.
3. Always apply some Sunscreen
Do you have these marks, especially on the face? You should know that your biggest enemy is the sun. The sun rays make them appear scarier.
How do you deal with this then? Think about applying some sunscreen. Sunscreen plays a vital role I preventing sunburn since severe cases can cause dark marks and worsen those you already have.
Also, you reduce chances of skin cancer due to sunrays i.e., they prevent your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays, that might cause skin cancer.
4. Use some skin brighteners
In most cases, dark scars start as brownish blemishes. They then darken after prolonged exposure to the sun rays. To reduce the darkening, consider pigment-lightening substances.
While covering on natural ingredients to lighten skin and remove dark sports, bellatory.com notes that dark spots on any part of the body can be removed through the use of the following ingredients:
- Kojic acid
- Licorice extract
- Bearberry extract
- Phyllanthus emblica
- White mulberry extract
- Vitamin B3
Skin brightening helps in lightening the dark spots by reducing and eliminating the dark pigmentation. This, in turn, makes your skin to appear lighter and the these go away within a few days.
5. Use of Lasers
If all of the above methods can’t work, then you can consider using laser treatment. Although lasers are commonly used to treat acne scars, they are at times used to eliminate or reduce the severity of these blemishes.
A laser uses its light to reduce melanin which causes this pigmentation as well as eliminate already darkened parts skin layers.
6. Best creams
There are many creams on the market that can help deal with this problem. Let your dermatologists help you in deciding what will be ideal for your skin type and nature of the marks.
7. Other removal methods
Besides the above, other removal methods include dermabrasion, chemical peels, among many other options.