Why do I develop blackheads on my inner thighs or why are my inner thighs darkened with small dark headed bumps? Do blackheads develop alongside severe symptoms? Learn more about blackheads on inner thighs including causes, symptoms, treatments, preventions and home remedies.
The overproduction of sebum or oils by your skin’s sebaceous glands can clog the opening of the hair follicles leading to the development of black or dark bumps, dots or spots i.e.blackheads. The dark color occurs after the clogs having been exposed to air and oxidized.
Blackheads can occur in several parts of the body including inner thighs, forehead, around lips, on the nose and other body parts. It can also affect both children and adults.
Others reasons for the formation of black bumps on inner thighs may include profuse sweating, shaving, and waxing, certain medications among other. We will discuss more causes in this post.
Blackheads on thighs usually are not painful but cause a serious concern when they become severe and seem to be infected. Infections can cause boils on your inner thigh.
Blackheads are one of the main reasons for the dark inner thighs among many people. The sizes of these blackheads can range from small bumps on inner thigh to big dark colored lump on the inner part of your thighs.
Besides the uneasiness or psychological distress, inner thigh blackheads are nothing to make one anxious.
Below are the common factors that may trigger blackheads on inner thighs:
1. Hormonal imbalances
Blackheads on inner thigh can be triggered by hormonal imbalance and variations, especially during pregnancy and periods among women.
Note that during menstruation, the level of androgen hormonal will tend to rise among many women. This can potentially contribute to the excessive production of sebum, which may clog the pores leading to the development of these small dark bumps between thighs.
2. Excess production of sebum
Apart from hormonal imbalance, the overproduction of sebum can be influenced by many factors including high-stress levels, puberty, and diet such as consumption of oily foods. Furthermore, blackheads or darkened inner thighs bumps may be due to excess sebum clumping with dead skin cells to block the hair follicles.
3. Certain medications
In some people, inner thigh blackheads can be due to reactions towards some medicines. Medicines that contain corticosteroids, lithium, androgens and birth control pills may lead to hormonal imbalances leading to the formation of blackheads.
4. Blackheads due to friction
Friction between thighs causes skin changes. Individuals without a thigh gap are more vulnerable to inner thigh blackheads since their thighs rub against each other while walking.
Again, excess sweating from the body and tight undergarments can increase chances of developing inner thigh dark bumps. Notably, friction will lead to high level of dead top skin cells that may clog the hair follicles to form blackheads.
5. Blackheads after shaving or shaving bumps
According to healtreatcure.org, excessive “shaving and using old razors can cause blackheads on inner thighs. Poor shaving techniques and use of wrong solutions while shaving down there or on bikini area can cause you blackheads or bumps”. Employ correct techniques during shavings.
6. Sun poisoning
It is imperative to note that spending much time in the sun and especially exposing your thigh to the sun can increase your chances of suffering from blackheads. Too much exposure of your skin on the sun makes the UV radiations from the sun to denature the skin cells. The dead skin cells can sum up with excess oils to clog the hair follicles leading to the formation of blackheads on thighs.
7. Environmental Factors
Apart from the excess sebum being the prime trigger of blackheads, some environmental factors also can contribute to the formation of these black bumps. Such factors including excessive pollution, dust, and small particles which can find their way to inner thigh pores.
When environmental pollutant including small particles, and dust combine with excess oils in the thigh, they may block the hair follicles leading to the formation of the blackheads.
8. Other reasons
Apart from the above triggers of blackheads, below are more factors that can as well initiate blackheads on inner thighs:
- Propionibacterium acne build up on the inner thigh skin
- Accidental trauma leading to skin damage and bruising
- Excess stress
- Excessive sweating and high humidity levels
- Fungal infections (can lead to occurrences boils and blackheads on inner thighs)
- Excessive lubrication within the birth canal or poor personal hygiene
How can I differentiate blackheads on inner thigh from inner thigh pimples and boils?
According to Healthline.com, the typical signs to help you spot blackheads include a darkened, slightly raised non-inflamed, non-painful bumps. These are kind of non-inflammatory type of acne since bacteria do not yet attack the comedones.
If the blackheads are infected, then the development of papules, pustules, cysts, and nodules can take the course.
What do you require in the blackheads between thigh treatments? Well, to be able to treat the blackheads effectively, one is expected to have a prior knowledge about the underlying causes. The treatment options may range from home remedies to over-the-counter-products to prescribed medications. Discover the various inner thigh blackheads treatments.
1. Over-the-counter products
Blackheads between inner thighs have got several ways to get rid of them including over the counter products. The products include lotions, creams, gels and even pads.
The ingredients usually contained in these products may include, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and resorcinol. They help in drying up excess oils, killing bacteria and getting rid of dead skin cells. Some of them are applied the skin directly. These products can as well be efficient inner thigh pimples treatment options.
2. Prescribed medications
In cases where over the counter medications are not working, there is another option, the prescribed medicines. Several medications can be prescribed by doctors to manage inner thigh blackheads. These medications contain ingredients like antibiotics and benzoyl products.
3. Laser and light treatment
Light and laser procedures can be applied to kill bacteria and reduce the excess production of oil. These methods are beneficial since they can manage the comedones beneath the skin without damaging the upper layer of your skin.
4. Manual blackhead removal with a tool
Manual removal of blackheads on thigh using specialized blackhead removal tools is another proven procedure. The tools are used to make a small opening in the plug then a little pressure is applied using loop extractors to remove the clogs.
Microdermabrasion is a process where the doctor or dermatologist will use a device having a rough surface to sand out the top layer of your skin containing plugs. The will help to get rid of clogs hence doing away with the blackheads.
6. Blackheads on inner thighs home remedies
Below are some of the home remedies that can help to manage blackheads and dark inner thighs:
- Aloe Vera
- Coconut Oil
- Use of Tea Tree Oil
- Use a cold compressor pack
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Radish Seeds
- Salicylic Acid Soap
Some of these products can be used alone or mixed with others for desired and suitable results.
Can I prevent blackheads from developing on my inner thigh? Though it may be somewhat difficult to control hormones influencing overproduction of sebum during puberty, pregnancies and periods, some of the triggers are preventable. Here are some ways to help in thigh blackheads prevention.
- After bathing, allow your thighs to dry completely, this will helps to get rid of moisture that can attract fungal infections.
- Before your wear swimwear, remember to apply sunscreen to protect your thighs against UV radiations from sun that can lead to acne and inner thigh blackheads
- Refrain from wearing tight clothing around the thigh; this can help stop the occurrence of skin irritations that may trigger acne and other skin disorders.
- Shower regularly prevent the occurrence of clogs, accumulation of dead skin cell, germs and bacteria. Use a mild cleanser to wash your thigh and also remember not to scrub your thigh with rough scrubbers.
- Find a way of avoiding excess sweating and high humidity.
- Gently exfoliate the dead top layer of the skin to reduce incidences of black spots.
- Limit dairy products that contain certain hormones that can stimulate oils gland leading to excess oil productions
When to see a doctor
As we early one mentioned, blackheads are nothing much to worry about, however, sometimes, it can be accompanied by mild pain and itching. In such a case, remember those might be a sign of severe acne.
After using the over the counter medication or the homes remedies and the inner thigh blackheads persist, see your dermatologist or doctor for further help.
- Healthline: Blackheads
- Medical News Today: Blackheads: Facts, Causes, and Treatments
- Heal Treat Cure Blackheads on inner Thighs, Get Rid, Home Remedies, Pictures, Removal, under Armpit, Treatment, Dark, Help
- Blackheads.co Blackheads On Inner Thighs Causes and Remedies
- Steady Healthy Boils Blackheads Pimples And Whiteheads In My Inner Thighs: steadyhealth.com
- The Fit Indian: Quick Remedies to Get Rid of Face Acne, Chest and Back Acne and Inner Thigh Acne
- Steady Health: Blackheads And Dark Skin Between Legs And Breast
- Top 10 Home Remedies: Home Remedies for Acne
"I really would like to find products that can help me with inner thigh rubbing, and blackheads developing on my inner thigh. It usually comes from the dye in my clothing mixed with dirt, the problem got worse with the rubbing and painfull blackheads when I discovered I had a yeast infection" - Jamillah Harris